Friday, April 3, 2009

A couple days ago I did the Tuesday Group Ride. I have been writing a lot about the weekend group rides recently, but this was my first Tuesday one of the season.

The Tuesday Group ride is traditionally the hardest one, and is nearly always harder than a cat. 4 race. When I got there , I saw a great group of about 15 people. Among others, there was Alexander, a cat. 3, Sam, a cat. 3, Mike, a cat. 3, Mac, a strong masters rider, and Jarret, also a cat. 3. My Dad couldn't take me to it nor ride with me, so I biked the 40 minutes there and back, plus the hour and 40 minutes long ride, for a great 2 hours 52 minutes, on a school day.

The ride started with a shorter than usual warmup. Mac attacked, the group got strung out, and when we caught him we started a paceline. The paceline went from 10 people pulling down to 5 every time, with me being one of them. We took a left hand turn and when the group eased up Mac pointed for me to get on his wheel. I did so and when he attacked, I was right in the draft. We had been going for maybe a minute when Alexander bridged, as did Sam. After that, Mike and another rider bridged, followed by three more, then the 10 of us were altogether again.

We kept doing the paceline until Mac attacked again, followed by Alexander and I. We were caught right before a hill that is known to split the field. Jarret attacked, Alexander, Mac, Sam and I followed. The rest of the pack managed to keep up, and we resumed our paceline.

When we got about 1 mile away from the town-limit finish, Jarret attacked up the decisive hill. The regulars followed him. Sam got to the front and sprinted, Jarret and Alexander fell back, leaving Sam, Mac and I. We sprinted for the line, with Sam winning, Mac second, and me 3 bike lengths back for 3rd.

Our computer isn't working so I can't download my powermeter, but I did ride 55 miles, 2 hours 52 minutes, at an avg. speed of 19mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment