Saturday, May 16, 2009

National 2009 Date and Courses

Today I went to the USA cycling website to check on the JR. Nationals info, which until recently hadn't been shown yet. When I saw the TT and Crit course I was pretty pleased, although I still don't know why the course designing people never put hills any bigger than 300 feet on the RR route.

Tuesday, July 28th is the RR, Friday July 31st is the TT, and Saturday August 1st is the crit.
The distances for all the races, including mine, are a lot longer than usual, which is good for me.

RR is 46.5 miles on a really short course (USA cycling calls it a circuit race), with a 150 plus foot climb over 3/4 of a mile (about 4.3 percent average grade), with a steep-looking start and finish on it at grades of at least 8 percent.

For the 2nd consecutive year, the Time Trial has the biggest elevation changes, at least in the u16 categories, with a very consistent 800 or 900 foot climb over 6.5 miles (average grade of about 2 to 2.5 percent), on a nearly 15 mile long, out-and-back course. I like the route, but at the same time, the organizers could have so easily included a climb that big or bigger on the RR course.

The crit for the 15-16 category is 25 kilometers, or 15.5 miles, the only race that is of an average length, which is too bad, as I like a crit that is a race of attrition. I'm assuming the course is flat, since there's no topography map to go with it.

The link is at http://www.usacycling.org/events/2009/JrU23EliteRoadNats/

No comments:

Post a Comment