Tuesday, June 16, 2009

2009 Southeastern Regional Developement Camp: Days 3 and 4

Coming into Tuesday, I was pretty nervous. I had done great on the mountainous Time Trials, but now I would have to prove myself against a field of 100 in the A race. After that, another decisive day on Thursday that would likely reshape the GC awaited.

DAY 3: Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tuesday was the A Race, but first we had to get there. We did a 13 mile route to the Donaldson center on roads I wouldn't ride on by myself, but in a big pack it wasn't bad at all. Once we got there we rested for a while, then warmed up.

I lined up for the start of the A race in a huge pack of almost 100 riders, including 25 juniors from the camp, easily distinguishable because we were all wearing USA cycling Jerseys.

The race started slowly thanks to a neutral first couple of miles. When the real racing started, it started fast and didn't slow down. I think the first 7 mile lap (out of 6 laps) was done at an average of almost 29 miles per hour. The next couple of laps blew by, and with 2 laps to go I was trying to move up. In the last lap I was in 2 short-lived breakaways. With 3 or so miles left I was fighting for the top 10 spot. There were some very hard pulls, with people trying to catch a breakaway 10 or 15 seconds up the road. With 1 K to go I was in 8th. I started my sprint a little too late, but still got 4th in the field sprint (the 2-man break stayed away), for 6th or 7th place. Will Richter and another camp Junior did great too, getting 4th and 5th. Not to mention Jacob Arnold, who was in almost every breakaway there was in the whole race.

As we rode back to campus, I was yet again so thankful for my results. I couldn't relax yet though--Wednesday was an easy day, but Thursday was where the GC will be cemented.

DAY 4: Wednesday, June 10th, 2009

Wednesday was a day to relax after 2 long, hard rides. We did a 1.5 hr ride earlier in the day were we worked on sprinting and braking, then another 1 and a half ride after lunch practicing cornering.

1 comment:

  1. I get tired of just thinking about your days. Hope you're enjoying the most you can and let the pressure go away! Entertain yourself! Marcos!

    ReplyDelete