Thursday, January 1, 2009

Asheville

Last Tuesday, my family and I went to Asheville to meet some of our friends who came from Topeka, Kansas (where John Funk, current 13-14 yr. old national champion in the TT and criterium lives). After we were done visiting, we drove through downtown Asheville, and then drove to the top of a mountain with around 1600 feet of elevation gain. However we did not go all the way to the bottom. Where I live the biggest hill is about 300 feet high so it was great to have the chance to climb something much bigger.

After we got to the top we pulled into the parking lot of a nice hotel and my Dad and I changed into cycling clothes. We descended down the mountain and warmed up for about 15 minutes, then raced up the hill. It only took 10 minutes but was still really hard as my Dad and I attacked each other and were both pushed to our limits. In the end I was the first to the parking lot. Once we got to the top we realized we had a lot more time so we descended down the hill again, turned around, and raced back up. My Dad attacked right from the start but I let him get a small lead of around 5 seconds. A couple of minutes later, I caught back up, and started to push the pace. I went from 200 to 220 to 250 watts and held it for a little while, then focused in at a steady pace, about 200 watts. The hill seemed to go on forever but finally I reached the parking lot. We cooled down in the parking lot for a little while, then changed back into regular clothes and began the drive back to Pinehurst.

We got back at 9:45 and I was too tired to download my Powermeter. The next day when I downloaded it I was very happy with the results especially given it's still the off season. Here are the statistics:

13.01 miles
57 minutes, 58 seconds
402 KJ (Kilojoules)
13.44 ave. speed
116 ave. watts

Peak Power Values:

5 minutes: 207 watts
10 minutes: 198 watts, a new record, beating my old record of 197 that I set in April!
30 minutes:149 watts

No comments:

Post a Comment