Monday, February 16, 2009

Wolfpack Classic Crit

Yesterday I did the Wolfpack Classic Criterium. Being my first crit of the year, I knew that the numerous accelerations and decelerations would be a little bit of a shock to the system, but was nonetheless pretty confident after my good result in the Road Race the day before.

I got the chance to ride the 1 k. course a couple of times before the race and it seemed fairly nontechnical, but I soon discovered that a chicane and 3 turns within about 300 meters of each other made it very sketchy when 4 wide in a pack.

Around the 4th or 5th lap, there was a 3+ rider crash, with one person catapulting over the curb and landing in a bush. That left me about 50 meters behind the field, and only my hardest chase got me back. I didn't realize it then, but I was the only rider from the group stalled by the crash to make it back up to the field. It took me a pretty long time to recover from that, with the pace never seeming to let up. The pack split several times from the high speeds, and I was forced to bridged numerous gaps in the last half of the race.

At 10 laps to go I found myself in a bad position. I moved up and lost ground too many times to count after that, but halfway through the last lap I was in 6th, and thankfully the pace was too fast for anyone to pass me. I started the final sprint in the same position, passed someone, and then got a little boxed in at the end to finish 6th, one better place than in the Road Race!

Congratulations to my whole team, and especially to Nic for a great result in the collegiate B's, for the Guillens and Craig doing great in the cat. 5's, and for Michael's amazing win in the 5's from a 2 man breakaway!

I also got the chance to meet Ben King, a 19 year-old who races for the Trek-Livestrong team. He raced in the pro 1 2 race and got 7th.


Here are the statistics (w/out the Power meter):

18.01 miles for the 43 min. crit
24.95 mph avg. for the crit

Here are some photos from my race:

2 comments:

  1. Oh Thomas,
    I love how you write...you are helping me understand what your racing is about each week...man...I get so excited reading your blog about who you are passing and all of the strategy you have to be going over in your mind on every turn, hill, and when a wreck occurs around you....you are one DETERMINED young man and I am very PROUD to know you and to cheer you on! And that I do!

    Love,
    Grammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Thomas. This is a little off subject, but I saw this pretty good article on some of the European pros who use Power Cranks. I just wanted to pass this on to you since you have been using them as well. The link is to the second part of the article, but you can then link back to the initial article. Take care!!

    http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=6809&status=True&catname=Latest%20News

    ReplyDelete