Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Youngs Road TT #2

Today I did the Young's Road TT for the second time this season. The Young's Road TT is a 10 k out and back course with a slight downhill going there and a slight uphill coming back. A couple of posts ago I described it in more detail.

Anyways, last time I did the YRTT, January 1st, I did it in 17:24, although that wasn't an accurate gauge of my form because it was cold. Luckily, though, I have a power meter so I can do accurate power tests outdoors regardless of wind conditions or air density. I ended up averaging 193 watts that time, with a power to weight of 4.82, and a Threshold of 4.64 wpk.

Today I was pretty confident of a good result as my form is much better than it was a month and a half ago. However, there was a crosswind this time, and although the temperature was perfect at 70 degrees I wasn't expecting an amazing time.

So I started the TT hard, got up to speed, went hard, reached the turnaround, went harder, then really pushed it up the last 3 hills and clocked a time of 15:56, which I was thrilled about because it was only 7 seconds slower than my record that I set at the end of last season.

When I got home I was expecting a new wattage record because I felt really good during the TT, and my watts seemed to be over 200 nearly all the time. But, I was shocked when I saw an average wattage of 217, 24 watts over my old record. In fact, I was so surprised that I would be worried about peaking too soon, but I am not doing a lot of very high intensity work yet so I don't have to be concerned about that.

After I downloaded the power meter, I got out the calculator to find out if I had broken the 5 wpk. at Threshold barrier:

217 ave. watts/(90 pounds/2.2)= 5.3 watts per kilogram, and times that by .95 to get 5.04 wpk at Threshold!

Hear are the numbers for the ride:

29.02 miles
1:33:12
18.68 avg. mph, 23.45 for the TT
129 avg. watts, 217 for the TT
724 Kilojoules

Peak Power Records:

1 min.: 240 watts
5 min.: 222 watts
10 min.: 217 watts, a new record!
30 min.: 171 watts, also a new record!

No comments:

Post a Comment